Log 11 – Trim Sheets and texture mapping

After finishing the first Trim sheet, I set my sights on getting the second one done. So I began blocking out the sheet and its details. I then followed the same steps as before, which involved separating parts of the mesh and then extruding it out so that I could obtain the depth needed for each area. Once done, I exported it as an FBX file ready for sculpting.

When everything was set in Zbrush, I increased the poly count the same way as before, and then started to manually smooth the bricks. Once all of the bricks had their smooth applied, I changed over to a dam standard and started to take away the sharp edges, and then smooth them down afterwards. Once finished with the bricks I moved onto the wall part above, reducing the strength of the brush down to 1 and sometimes 2. Here I played around with various brushes and alphas to try and get a smooth yet bumpy finish look to the wall.

I wasn’t overly set on the appearance overall, so I played around with some ideas. I duplicated the bricks and then moved their position up to continue the streamlined brick flow that I wanted. I repeated this a few times and then went back to the wall. I changed to a larger brush and began pushing the wall back to show the bricks. Eventually, I ended with something I was somewhat happy with. and then polished it up further to give it the correct look for what was happening on the wall. I then exported the high poly out as an FBX after decimating it down to a usable size again.

I then imported my low Poly wall and baked my high poly onto it. This took longer than expected as I had somehow messed the UV’s up, or something similar, which was causing it to not bake. To fix this I went back to my low poly inside of Maya and reset the UV’s. After testing this it worked, but I noticed that the bricks were stacking in a straight line going upwards, so I had to make some minor adjustments once again before starting the work.

When I finally began texturing I spent a lot of time trying to find a suitable style for the brick, and finally settled on the charcoal smart material which I then heavily adjusted to suit its requirements. I added a black mask and began hand painting the areas that I wanted to show as brick.

I reviewed what I had before and swapped back and forth from painting and erasing my strokes on the mask. Adding extra detailing in for the mortar remnants that would show within the bricks crevice. When I had this done to a nice standard I then applied an old smart material that I had made prior for the mortar appearance. I adjusted the dirt material further by changing the mask once again and then settled on the end result.

I exported my textures and threw them onto the original trim blockings to make sure that it worked as intended before applying it to the house.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s